Blue Monday is upon us. It’s reported to be the most depressing day of the year. The Christmas memories fade, the credit card bills are looming, the weather is gloomy, the New Year’s Resolutions are broken and people get back into the routine of school and work. STOP PRESS!! – charity Mind says there’s no scientific evidence for Blue Monday exists and that the myth should be busted and the Samaritans are all out to turn Blue Monday into Brew Monday.
Colm Baker, Digital Marketing Guru believes; “If you want a great Monday, start on Sunday. One of the most helpful things that changed how I see Mondays was doing a brain drop every Sunday.”
Tegan Groombridge of Discount Promo Codes, advises a bit of retail therapy can always help. Combat Blue Monday, with a Black Friday attitude. And what’s more if you use their site codes, they contribute 20% of profit to charity; win win all round.
Damon Nailor, a life coach says to “look at each new day as a fresh start, clean slate, and another chance to reboot and be better and more productive than the previous day. Blue Monday is no exception!”
Sometimes it is the simple things in life that bring about a better frame of mind, Lauren Clemett from Ultimate Business Propellor believes “It is often the basic things we overlook or take for granted, like a roof over our heads, food in the fridge, family and friends, people who care about us or things we look forward to.”
How you feel, is effected by your thinking and your physiology. If you’re sat there slouched at your desk, feeling sluggish and your thinking drifts into negative or unhelpful thinking it will have a negative impact on your feelings and of course your day. What you look for you always get – so if you want to lift your mood today (or any day) you need to do something different and here are 5 ways to help …
5 ways to shift your mood on Blue Monday
- Get Moving! – lots of people struggle to get exercise into their day however exercise is proven to release endorphins which naturally make your feel happier. It doesn’t have to be lots of exercise, but simply getting outside for a 20 minute walk today at lunchtime, going for a swim, taking the kids out on their bikes, walking your dog after work or raising your heart rate in some other way is great for us physically and emotionally.
- Practice Mindfulness in Nature – as you go about your day today notice the things in your environment such as the snowdrops that have just come to life, the daffodils that are poking through the ground and will soon be in bloom. Notice the sound of loved ones nearby, the fresh air on your face and the warmth of that lovely cup of your favourite tea/coffee! Getting outside and getting the sunlight on your skin can boost the ‘happy hormone’ serotonin – due to shorter days in the winter, researchers say we should make an extra effort to get out into the sunlight even for just 30 minutes.
- Plan to do something your enjoy today – perhaps tonight plan to watch a favourite film, spend some time on a hobby you enjoy or spend time with friends and family.
- Have a word with yourself! – if you continually tell yourself how awful the winter is, how bad it is that you’ve got to wait another week until your get paid, how hard everything is, how everyone’s got it in for you etc. you are focusing your efforts on getting more of what you don’t want. Your mind works on the basis of what you focus on your get. So, focus on all the things you are grateful for and want more of in your life. As you go about your day, stop and notice 5 things you are grateful for. As soon as you start to focus on being grateful you’ll find your mood improves and the more you look for, the more you find.
- Look after you! – eat foods you know help you feel energised, have a lovely bath to relax, get an early night to re-charge or perhaps plan something nice for later in the year, something you can look forward to.
Above all, know that you can take steps every day to lift your mood and turn any day into a great day!
If you’d like to learn about how our NLP Courses can help you Unleash Your Potential in Business and Life by helping you change your thinking, get in touch!
When you are trying to make a decision, sometimes it can feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Even the smallest of decisions, while you're being indecisive, can feel massive. You say to yourself "it’s a big deal and I want to make...
Exam disappointment and disappointment in general can be one of life's most uncomfortable feelings and often follows expectations. The exam hall may be a distant memory as the results are posted. How can you prepare yourself if you're about to get results?...
Are you looking to find your purpose? Feel like you're lost? There's got to be more to life than this, hasn't there? Can't find THE path that's right for you, or in fact any path? Looking for clarity? What's next? I have no idea what I want to do with my life, is that...